Saturday, April 28, 2012

Resilience

A few months ago I talked about a homeless Marine vet that I met outside a Walgreens one night and how we shared war stories and how I watched him dig through the trash for food and pray over left overs someone had tossed away, it was almost a full meal. His spirit and resilience was so strong that I was in awe in the mans presence because these days BLESSED people with the luxury of a home, steady income and more than a weeks worth of clothes still feel the need to complain over what they do not have. I was so touched by this Old Marines strength that I reached into my pocket and gave him all the money I had, I gave him old jackets and USMC sweats that had been in my trunk for years so he could be warm. I gave him the food I had just purchased from the bar and after receiving it he literally dropped to his knees and started praying, crying and thanking God. I tried to give him my beyonet (military knife that can be fitted onto your rifle in close quarter combat) but he refused it, hey said "no Devil Dog, I won't take your teeth away, ooo rah I'm just thankful for the food, just don't forget me brother". -----I just saw him again crossing the underpass by the carmax. He had his rucksack and my old jacket and sweats rolled up on top of his bag still. Right then I was compelled to go get him some food and talk again. I went and got breakfast and came back but he was gone, so I searched and found him. As soon as I let down my window he remembered me and said "HEY YOUNG DEVIL DOG HOW ARE YOU?" I reached down and gave him the food I bought, the smile on his face and the light in his eyes lit up. Everyone else in their cars were just ignoring him before then, like he was just a burden to be avoided. They had no idea that he had fought in one of America's bloodiest wars before VA benefits  or even post traumatic stress disorder had been established or recognized. I told him I had to go but I had to be a vessel of blessing for a friend. We gripped hands and he just smiled with his long white beard and said "I thank you brother, I really do". I began to drive off and got filled with such an overwhelming feeling of happiness because I know that man is a brother to me for life, and if things were switched that he would do the same for me. God puts us right where we need to be at the precise moment we need to be there. I realize that I am built to be a vessel of blessing to others, all my life that is what I have reluctantly been, I use to hate having to help someone everytime my phone rang but now I see that its what I am made for. It always comes back to me 10 times better. So I accept it. Help someone today folks, its worth it. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you shared this post on Facebook as well and reading it again gives me chills. God does put us in the right place at the right time. Your blessings will continue to pour out in your life as you continue to bless others. I know you don't want a pat on the back but job well done young man. :)

    ReplyDelete